Monday, September 2, 2013



Today was my first day of Swiss school. I was really nervous, but for no reason! It took me forever to fall asleep last night because I was so anxious. The next morning, I had to wake up at 6 in the morning. That’s really early for me since I can roll out of bed at 7:20 in America. I was so out of my comfort zone going to school, and then when we finally got there it was like cross country and everyone is running together in the beginning, fighting for a good position in the line. Of course, no one was “fighting” to be the first in the school. This school is big compared to AH. There are 550 students in the Kanti Schule (high school basically). Swiss people are a bit shy and closed, so I introduced myself to everyone. I had a few questions from people, but few asked me questions. They all spoke Swiss German. Then, once we went inside the classroom for German class, I sat next to these two girls who showed the most interest. They helped me a lot with notes, my schedule. It was hard to follow the lesson and I didn’t understand all, but I got the gist. Slowly but surely more people started opening up to me. By the end of the class, a lot of people were asking about my classes and my life in America and in Switzerland. After, we had a block class of Math. I was able to understand that and follow because I learned the stuff they were doing in Algebra II. Thanks Mr. Mullinax!! During the break, the girls were really nice and I was taken under this group of friends’ wing. There are only 25 students and 13 are girls so these friends are 80% of the girls in my class. They showed me where the bathroom was,took me to the secretary for my picture, helped me go buy a snack, joked with me and talked with me. They spoke slowly and in High German (Germany German). They had so much patience and were very inclusive and just so nice!! I was pleasantly surprised.  The boys are… interesting. They are very nice and funny too! I don’t have one outstandingly gorgeous boy in my class-you should be happy Dad!! However, I did scope out the hallways and liked some of what I saw ;) The hair style for boys that is in right now… is VERY different from American hair. This is the trend:

The Co-Ed thing really isn’t a problem either. I thought it would be really different, but I just spend a few extra minutes in the bathroom in the morning, that’s all. At this point, I am making friends, which is very good! After the break, I had Geography. The teacher speaks a million miles per hour… But I was actually able to understand a lot because the lesson was about hurricanes and tornadoes in America. Then, was advanced Math with laptops, in this class they always use laptops. I talked to/watched these two girls make a game with an MIT program. Then, finally lunch time. The girls and boys told me I could eat lunch with them, but I planned on eating with my sister. I had pasta in the school with Gorgonzola sauce. It was good! I was happy to speak English a little with my sister and Olivia, her friend who did an exchange in America. My sister is too funny; she was documenting “my first meal in school.” Then, after lunch we had a block period of French. That was so hard. I had the hardest time remembering the simplest things, and when I wanted to say something in French, it would come out in German. It was a little embarrassing, but funny, especially since I’ve had ten years of French. The teacher was very nice and was proud of me for learning two languages voluntary. I was so happy he wasn’t angry with me for carrying on his class. After French, we had a block period of PE. 75% of the time we played gym games, and then we had to run continuously for 20 minutes. Kein Problem! Gym was really fun, but I didn’t bring any clothes and of course the girls were so nice pitching in extra clothes they had. There’s another exchange student in my gym class. She is from Mexico. She’s a little shy and doesn’t speak much German or English. After the school, I went with some of my new friends to this small cheap grocery store and they made me try all these delicious Swiss things they love. Kinder Bueno bars are my new favorite candy bars. They were so funny and nice about it! I couldn’t have imagined a more perfect first day! Then, I finally went home. It hit me then, I’m exhausted and have a throbbing headache. The only reason I have time to write this update is because I don’t have any homework (the perks of being an exchange student), which is so nice. I am so glad I learned as much German as I did because I wouldn’t have acclimated so quickly without it. Yes, I still have A LOT to learn.  I also am glad that I was really outgoing and asked all my classmates a lot of questions so they would open up to me. Tomorrow, we have a three hour lunch break and I’m going to hang out with my new friends!  Alles ist gut in die Schweiz!!

No comments:

Post a Comment